William Moses Kunstler was an American radical lawyer and civil rights activist, known for his politically unpopular clients. Kunstler was an active member of the National Lawyers Guild, a board member of the American Civil Liberties Union and the co-founder of the Law Center for Constitutional Rights, the “leading gathering place for radical lawyers in the country”.
|Born:||William Moses Kunstler, July 7, 1919, New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Died:||September 4, 1995, New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Education:||Yale University, Columbia University|
|Occupation:||Lawyer, civil rights activist|
|Spouse(s):||Lotte Kunstler, Margaret Ratner|
|Children:||4 including Emily|
|IMDb:||William Kunstler’s IMDb|
About William Kunstler
Attorney for radical and sometimes controversial figures like the Chicago Seven, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Colin Ferguson, who shot six people to death.
As a teenager he ran around committing petty crimes with a gang called The Red Devils.
He enjoyed defending the unpopular partly because of the publicity he got from it, and partly, he said, because he didn’t want the state to become all-powerful.
He had four children with his wife, and two of his daughters, Emily Kunstler and Sarah Kunstler, made a documentary about him entitled William Kunstler: Disturbing the Universe.
He became renown for defending Abbie Hoffman and the Chicago Seven in a trial that became half farce due to his sharp exchanges with the judge and the antics of the defendants.
Information related to William Kunstler
- http://www.esquilax.com/flag/kunstler.html A Remembrance of William Kunstler , esquilax.com
- http://www.counterpunch.org/jackson05072003.html Kunstler’s speech at the University of Buffalo , counterpunch.org
- http://www.ccrjustice.org Center for Constitutional Rights , ccrjustice.org
- http://kunstler.org William Moses Kunstler Fund for Racial Justice , kunstler.org
- http://www.democracynow.org/2009/11/12/william_kunstler_disturbing_the_universe New Documentary Examines Life, Legacy of Famed Radical Attorney – video report by Democracy Now!, democracynow.org
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .