Tobias George Smollett was a Scottish poet and author. He was best known for his picaresque novels, such as The Adventures of Roderick Random, The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle and The Expedition of Humphry Clinker, which influenced later novelists, including Charles Dickens. His novels were amended liberally by printers; a definitive edition of each of his works was edited by Dr O. M. Brack Jr to correct such variations.
|Born:||Tobias George Smollett, Dalquhurn (now part of Renton), Scotland|
|Died:||September 17, 1771, Livorno, Italy|
|Occupation:||Author, poet and surgeon|
|Alma mater:||University of Glasgow, University of Aberdeen|
About Tobias Smollett
Eighteenth-century Scottish poet and picaresque novelist who famously wrote The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle. His other works include The Adventures of Roderick Random and The Adventures of Ferdinand Count Fathom.
He studied medicine at the University of Glasgow and subsequently worked in Jamaica as a surgeon.
He considered A Complete History of England (written between 1757 and 1765) to be his most important work.
He married Nancy Lascelles in 1747. The couple had one daughter.
His work influenced the literary development of renowned author Charles Dickens.
Information related to Tobias Smollett
- Old English Cemetery, Livorno – The Old English Cemetery is a cemetery in Livorno, central Italy, located on a plot of land near the Via Verdi, close to the Waldensian Church and to the formerly Anglican church of St. George. It is the oldest Protestant cemetery in Italy.
- 18th-century British poets
- 18th-century Scottish novelists
- British expatriates in Jamaica
- Historians of England
- Royal Navy Medical Service officers
- Scottish political writers
- British medical writers
- Maritime writers
- Spanish–English translators
- People of the Scottish Enlightenment
- Scottish travel writers
- 18th-century Scottish writers
- Scottish translators
- 18th-century Scottish medical doctors
- Scottish surgeons
- Scottish historians
- Scottish poets
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .