Ricardo Zamora Martínez was a Spanish footballer and manager. He played as a goalkeeper for, among others, RCD Espanyol, FC Barcelona and Real Madrid. As an international he played for both the Catalan XI and Spain. As a manager, he won two La Liga titles with Atlético Aviación and briefly managed Spain. Zamora, nicknamed El Divino, was noted for wearing a cloth cap and a white polo-neck jumper on the field, a look later copied by several of his contemporaries. He claimed it was to protect him from both the sun and his opponents. As a goalkeeper, he was primarily known for his athleticism, quick reflexes, shot-stopping abilities, large frame, and bravery in goal. In 1929 while playing for Spain against England, he carried on playing despite breaking his sternum. Spain won the game 4–3, becoming the first team from outside the British Isles to defeat England.
About Ricardo Zamora
Spanish goalkeeper who was considered one of the best of his generation, minding the net for the Spanish national team from 1920 to 1936 and playing in 82 games for Real Madrid from 1930 to 1936.
He began his career with Espanyol in 1969, then joined FC Barcelona three years later.
He led his team to the silver medal at the 1920 Olympic Games at Antwerp, and he got himself arrested for trying to smuggle Havana cigars on the way home.
He grew up in Barcelona, Spain.
He and Francisco Gento both became legendary Spanish soccer players.
Information related to Ricardo Zamora
- CD Málaga managers
- Burials at Montjuïc Cemetery
- Spain national football team managers
- OGC Nice managers
- RCD Espanyol managers
- Atlético Madrid managers
- Spanish people of the Spanish Civil War
- Spanish expatriate sportspeople in France
- Expatriate football managers in France
- Spanish expatriate football managers
- Footballers from Barcelona
- Footballers at the 1920 Summer Olympics
- Olympic footballers of Spain
- Catalonia international footballers
- Olympic silver medalists for Spain
- Footballers at the 1924 Summer Olympics
- La Liga managers
- OGC Nice players
- RCD Espanyol footballers
- FC Barcelona players
- Catalan footballers
- Spain international footballers
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .