Ransom Eli Olds was a pioneer of the American automotive industry, after whom the Oldsmobile and REO brands were named. He claimed to have built his first steam car as early as 1887 and his first gasoline-powered car in 1896. The modern assembly line and its basic concept is credited to Olds, who used it to build the first mass-produced automobile, the Oldsmobile Curved Dash, beginning in 1901.
|Born:||Ransom Eli Olds, June 3, 1864, Geneva, Ohio|
|Died:||August 26, 1950, Lansing, Michigan, United States|
|Spouse(s):||Metta Ursula Woodward|
|Parent(s):||Pliny Fiske Olds and Sarah Whipple Olds|
About Ransom E. Olds
Automobile pioneer who ran the first modern assembly line and made the first mass-produced car.
He founded his Olds Motor Vehicle Company in 1897 and was forced out of it not long after.
His Curved Dash model car sold for $650.00, equal to about $18,000 in the early 21st century.
He married Metta Woodward on June 5, 1889. They had two daughters together.
His Oldsmobile Curved Dash came out first, even though many think Henry Ford‘s Model T was the first car made on the assembly line.
Information related to Ransom E. Olds
- Irving Jacob Reuter – Irving Jacob Reuter was an automotive leader in the early 1900s. In 1925 he was named general manager and president of Oldsmobile after rising through the ranks at Remy Electric and then General Motors after the two companies merged in 1918.
- Oldsmobile – Oldsmobile was a brand of American automobiles produced for most of its existence by General Motors. Olds Motor Vehicle Co. was founded by Ransom E. Olds in 1897. It produced over 35 million vehicles, including at least 14 million built at its Lansing, Michigan factory alone.
- REO Motor Car Company – The REO Motor Car Company was a Lansing, Michigan-based company that produced automobiles and trucks from 1905 to 1975. At one point the company also manufactured buses on its truck platforms. Ransom E. Olds was an entrepreneur who founded multiple companies in the automobile industry.
- Businesspeople from Lansing, Michigan
- American founders of automobile manufacturers
- Automotive pioneers
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .