Glenn Scobey Warner, most commonly known as Pop Warner, was an American college football coach at various institutions who is responsible for several key aspects of the modern game. Included among his innovations are the single and double wing formations, the three point stance and the body blocking technique. Fellow pioneer coach Amos Alonzo Stagg called Warner “one of the excellent creators”. He was inducted as a coach into the College Football Hall of Fame as part of its inaugural class in 1951. He also contributed to a junior football program which became known as Pop Warner Little Scholars, a popular youth American football organization. In the early 1900s, he created a premier football program at the Carlisle Indian Industrial School—a federally-funded, off-reservation Indian boarding school. He also coached teams to four national championships: Pittsburgh in 1915, 1916, and 1918 and Stanford in 1926.
|Born:||April 5, 1871, Springville, New York|
|Died:||September 7, 1954, Palo Alto, California|
|Alma mater:||Cornell University|
|Overall:||319–106–32 (football), 36–15 (baseball)|
About Pop Warner
Hall of Fame college football coach who invented many of the basic, fundamental plays of the game.
He was captain of the Cornell football team.
He was hired by the University of Georgia when it was attended by 126 students.
He married Tibb Loraine Smith in 1889.
He coached in the 1925 classic Rose Bowl game against Knute Rockne and the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame.
Information related to Pop Warner
- Edgar Wingard – Edgar Ramey Wingard was an American football, basketball, and baseball coach and college athletics administrator.
- Paul Steinberg – Jacob Paul “Twister” Steinberg was a professional football player in the early 1900s. As a member of the first National Football League, he played with the Philadelphia Athletics in the first professional night game in history.
- Cornell Big Red baseball coaches
- San Jose State Spartans football coaches
- Temple Owls football coaches
- Cornell Big Red football players
- Georgia Bulldogs football coaches
- Iowa State Cyclones football coaches
- Stanford Cardinal football coaches
- Pittsburgh Panthers football coaches
- Cornell Law School alumni
- College men’s track and field athletes in the United States
- 19th-century players of American football
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .