Pauline Kael was an American film critic who wrote for The New Yorker magazine from 1968 to 1991. Kael was known for her “witty, biting, highly opinionated and sharply focused” reviews, her opinions often contrary to those of her contemporaries. She was one of the most influential American film critics of her era. She left a lasting impression on several prominent film critics. Roger Ebert argued in an obituary that Kael “had a more positive influence on the climate for film in America than any other single person over the last three decades.” Kael, he said, “had no theory, no rules, no guidelines, no objective standards. You couldn’t apply her ‘approach’ to a film. With her it was all personal.” Owen Gleiberman said she “was more than a great critic. She reinvented the form, and pioneered an entire aesthetic of writing.”
|Born:||June 19, 1919, Petaluma, California, U.S.|
|Died:||September 3, 2001, Great Barrington, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Alma mater:||University of California, Berkeley|
|IMDb:||Pauline Kael’s IMDb|
About Pauline Kael
Feisty film critic for New Yorker magazine from 1968 to 1991.
She attended UC Berkeley to study philosophy, literature, and art.
She has been called the Elvis and the Beatles of film criticism.
Her parents were named Judith and Isaac.
She has been called a great critic by Woody Allen .
Information related to Pauline Kael
- http://rockcriticsarchives.com/links/paulinekael.html Pauline Kael Archives , a collection of articles and commentary about Kael
- “http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/46/kael.htm The Pearls of Pauline ” in Brights Lights Film Journal
- https://sites.google.com/site/raysawhill/home/interviews/pauline-kael Interview magazine q&a Pauline Kael interviewed by Polly Frost and Ray Sawhill
- https://www.npr.org/2011/12/04/142870582/pauline-kaels-legacy-built-by-straying-from-herd Pauline Kael’s Legacy Built By Straying From Herd-NPR article
- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4472096/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1 What She Said: The Art of Pauline Kael on IMDb
- http://www.whatshesaidmovie.com/ What She Said: The Art of Pauline Kael official site
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .