María África Gracia Vidal, known as The Queen of Technicolor, was a Dominican motion picture actress who gained fame and popularity in the 1940s as an exotic beauty starring in a series of filmed-in-Technicolor costume adventure films. Her screen image was that of a hot-blooded Latin seductress, dressed in fanciful costumes and sparkling jewels. She became so identified with these adventure epics that she became known as “The Queen of Technicolor”. Over her career, Montez appeared in 26 films, 21 of which were made in North America and the last five were made in Europe.
|Born:||María África Gracia Vidal, June 6, 1912, Barahona, Dominican Republic|
|Died:||September 7, 1951, Suresnes, France|
|Resting place:||Cimetière du Montparnasse|
|Awards:||Order of Merit of Juan Pablo Duarte (1943)|
|IMDb:||Maria Montez’s IMDb|
About Maria Montez
Remembered for her glamorous roles in such Universal Studios Technicolor movies as The Exile, Arabian Nights, and Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, this movie star of the 1940s eventually left the movie business and published two books.
She and her nine siblings grew up in the Dominican Republic and Northern Ireland as the children of a Spanish diplomat.
In her late thirties, she drowned in the bathtub of her home in France, having apparently experienced a heart attack.
Her first marriage, to William McFeeters, lasted from 1932 until 1939. Her second marriage, to French actor Jean-Pierre Aumont, resulted in an actress daughter named Tina Aumont.
She and actor Jon Hall co-starred in several films, including Sudan and Cobra Woman.
Information related to Maria Montez
- Niverka Marte – Niverka Dharlenis Marte Frica is a female volleyball player from the Dominican Republic. She played the 2012 Summer Olympics with the Dominican Republic national team ranking in fifth place.
- Dominican Republic women writers
- Order of Merit of Duarte, Sánchez and Mella
- Dominican Republic expatriates in the United States
- Dominican Republic film actresses
- Dominican Republic emigrants to the United States
- Hispanic and Latino American actresses
- Burials at Montparnasse Cemetery
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .