María de la Cruz Toledo was a Chilean political activist for Women’s suffrage, a journalist, a writer, and a political commentator. In 1953, she became the first woman ever elected to the Chilean Senate.
About Maria De la Cruz
Chilean politician and women’s suffragist who, in 1953, became the first woman to serve on the Chilean Senate.
She published a novel and a poetry collection when she was in her early thirties, and she also became a popular journalist and radio host.
She won her Senate seat by the largest margin recorded up until that time. However, just six months after being sworn in, she was accused of being involved in an Argentinian watch smuggling chain and was removed from the Senate despite the utter lack of evidence against her.
She was born in Chimbarongo, Chile to Edicia Toledo and Marco Aurelio de la Cruz. After her political failures she joined the empty-pots movement in opposition of Salvador Allende.
She supported candidate Jorge Alessandri in the 1958 Chilean presidential election.
Information related to María de la Cruz
- Carlos Ibáñez del Campo – General Carlos Ibáñez del Campo was a Chilean Army officer and political figure. He served as President twice, first between 1927 and 1931, and then from 1952 to 1958, serving for 11 years in office.
- Amanda Labarca – Amanda Labarca Hubertson was a Chilean diplomat, educator, writer and feminist. Her work was directed mainly at improving the situation of Latin American women and women’s suffrage in Chile. She was born in Santiago, Chile on December 5, 1886 and died on January 2, 1975.
- Elena Caffarena – Elena Caffarena was a Chilean lawyer, jurist and politician. Contemporary historians and humanists consider her to be one of the most important 20th-century public figures in Chile.
- Chilean women poets
- Chilean suffragists
- Chilean democracy activists
- Chilean feminists
- Chilean women journalists
- Chilean novelists
- 20th-century Chilean poets
- Chilean women writers
- Members of the Senate of Chile
- Women novelists
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .