Kazi Nazrul Islam Bengali: কাজী নজরুল ইসলাম, Bengali pronunciation: [kāzi nôzrul îslām], was a Bengali poet, writer, musician and the national poet of Bangladesh. Popularly known as Nazrul, he produced a large body of poetry and music with themes that included religious devotion and rebellion against oppression. Nazrul’s activism for political and social justice earned him the title of “Rebel Poet”. His compositions form the avant-garde genre of Nazrul Geeti. Born in a Bengali Muslim Kazi family, Nazrul Islam received religious education and as a young man worked as a muezzin at a local mosque. He learned about poetry, drama, and literature while working with the rural theatrical group Letor Dal. He joined the British Indian Army in 1917. After serving in the British Indian Army in the Middle East during World War I, Nazrul established himself as a journalist in Calcutta.
|Native name:||কাজী নজরুল ইসলাম|
|Born:||May 25, 1899, Churulia village, Asansol, Bengal Presidency, British India (present-day West Bengal, India)|
|Died:||August 29, 1976, Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|Resting place:||Central Mosque at University of Dhaka|
|Nickname:||Bengali: দুখুমিঞা, translit. Dukhumiyan|
|Occupation:||flutist, Poet, short-story writer, song composer, playwright, novelist, essayist, literary translator, soldier, film actor, political activist|
|Language:||Bengali, Urdu, Persian, Arabic|
|Nationality:||British Empire (1899–1947), Indian (1947–1976), Bangladeshi (1972–1976)|
|Literary movement:||Bengali Renaissance|
|Notable works:||Notuner Gaan, Bidrohi, Pralayollas, Dhumketu, Agniveena, Bandhan Hara, Nazrul Geeti|
|Notable awards:||Padma Bhushan (1960), Ekushey Padak (1976), Independence Day Award (1977)|
|IMDb:||Kazi Nazrul Islam’s IMDb|
About Kazi Nazrul Islam
Bengali poet, author, political revolutionary, and musician who was awarded the title of National Poet of Bangladesh. His most famous poem, “Bidrohi,” was published in 1922.
He was born into a Muslim family and worked for a time at his town’s mosque.
He was frequently sent to British prisons as punishment for his revolutionary activities during the Indian Independence Movement.
He married Pramila Devi.
He and Al Mahmud were both twentieth-century Bengali poets.
Information related to Kazi Nazrul Islam
- Kazi Nazrul Islam Category
- Shiulimala , book of short stories, written by Kazi Nazrul Islam.
- 20th-century Bangladeshi singers
- Hinduism and Islam
- Translators of Omar Khayyám
- 20th-century Bangladeshi writers
- 20th-century Bangladeshi artists
- 20th-century Bangladeshi musicians
- Musicians from West Bengal
- 20th-century Bangladeshi male actors
- Indian independence activists from Bengal
- 20th-century Bangladeshi poets
- 20th-century Bengali poets
- Indian male musicians
- Muslim poets
- Bangladeshi male musicians
- Bangladeshi male poets
- Bengali Muslims
- Bengali musicians
- Bengali male poets
- 20th-century Indian philosophers
- Recipients of the Independence Day Award
- Recipients of the Padma Bhushan in literature & education
- Writers from Kolkata
- Bengali writers
- Recipients of the Ekushey Padak
- 20th-century Indian musicians
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .