Jorge Alessandri Rodríguez was the 27th President of Chile from 1958 to 1964, and was the candidate of the Chilean right in the crucial presidential election of 1970, which he lost to Salvador Allende. He was the son of Arturo Alessandri, who was president from 1920 to 1925 and again from 1932 to 1938.
|Born:||Jorge Alessandri Rodríguez, May 19, 1896, Santiago, Chile|
|Died:||Aug 31, 1986, Santiago, Chile|
|Resting place:||Cementerio General de Santiago, Santiago, Chile|
|Parents:||Arturo Alessandri and Rosa Rodríguez|
|Alma mater:||University of Chile|
|Profession:||Civil engineer, entrepreneur, politician|
|Preceded by:||Carlos Ibáñez del Campo|
|Succeeded by:||Eduardo Frei Montalva|
About Jorge Alessandri
Former President of Chile who defeated Salvador Allende in 1958 and lost to him 12 years later in the 1970 election. He was elected to the Senate seat from Santiago in 1957.
He graduated from the University of Chile in 1919.
His father was Arturo Alessandri, who was the president of Chile from 1920 to 1925 and 1932 to 1938.
He never married.
He lost to Salvadore Allende in the election preceding the military coup of Augusto Pinochet.
Information related to Jorge Alessandri
- Alessandri family – The Alessandri family of Chile is of Italian origin, became politically influential during the early part of the 20th century, and has played a significant role in Chilean politics. The first Alessandri who came to Chile was named Giuseppe Pietro Alessandri Tarzi.
- Chilean engineers
- Alessandri family
- Politicians from Santiago
- Chilean Ministers of Finance
- Presidents of Chile
- Candidates for President of Chile
- Members of the Senate of Chile
- Members of the Chamber of Deputies of Chile
- University of Chile alumni
- Children of national leaders
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .