Dr. John McKinly was an American physician and politician from Wilmington, Delaware. He was a veteran of the French and Indian War, served in the Delaware General Assembly, was the first elected President of Delaware, and for a time was a member of the Federalist Party.
|Born:||February 24, 1721, Ulster, Ireland|
|Died:||August 31, 1796, Wilmington, Delaware|
|Residence:||Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.|
|Preceded by:||Office established|
|Succeeded by:||Thomas McKean|
About John McKinly
Member of the Federalist Party who became the first elected President of Delaware in 1777. He also served in the Delaware General Assembly.
He was a physician and a lieutenant in the New Castle County militia, as well as a major in the French and Indian War.
He contributed to salaries of teachers at the University of Delaware.
He married Jane Richardson in 1761.
Another politician who represented Delaware like him is Joe Biden.
Information related to John McKinly
- Mayors of Wilmington, Delaware
- Speakers of the Delaware House of Representatives
- Delaware Independents
- Delaware militiamen in the American Revolution
- Independent state governors of the United States
- Delaware Federalists
- People of colonial Delaware
- Governors of Delaware
- 18th-century American physicians
- American Revolutionary War prisoners of war held by Great Britain
- Kingdom of Ireland emigrants to the Thirteen Colonies
- Members of the Delaware House of Representatives
- American militia generals
- 18th-century American politicians
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .