Ferdinand I, born Ferdinand Maximilian Karl Leopold Maria of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, was the second monarch of the Third Bulgarian State, firstly as ruling prince from 1887 to 1908, and later as king from 1908 until his abdication in 1918. Under his rule Bulgaria entered the First World War on the side of the Central Powers in 1915.
|Predecessor:||Himself as Prince|
|Successor:||Himself as Tsar|
|Born:||26 February 1861, Vienna, Austrian Empire|
|Died:||September 10, 1948, Coburg, Allied-occupied Germany|
|Burial:||St. Augustin, Coburg|
|Issue:||Boris III of Bulgaria, Kiril, Prince of Preslav, Princess Eudoxia, Princess Nadezhda|
|House:||Saxe-Coburg and Gotha-Koháry|
|Father:||Prince August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha|
|Mother:||Princess Clémentine of Orléans|
About Ferdinand I Of Bulgaria
Ruler of Bulgaria from 1908 to 1918 who notably elevated Bulgaria to the status of a kingdom. He was also an author and botanist.
He grew up in a noble family and was the heir apparent to the throne in 1887.
As ruler of Bulgaria he joined the other Balkan states in an unsuccessful assault on the Ottoman Empire to free occupied territories.
His son Boris III took over upon his abdication following Bulgaria’s defeat in WWI and he is a distant relative of German Emperor Wilhelm II.
The artist Christo is another famous Bulgarian.
Information related to Ferdinand I of Bulgaria
- Order of Saints Cyril and Methodius – The Order of Saints Cyril and Methodius is an award conferred by the Republic of Bulgaria.
- Bulgarian people of the Balkan Wars
- Field marshals of Germany
- House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Bulgaria)
- Recipients of the Order of the White Eagle (Russia)
- Grand Crosses of the Military Order of Max Joseph
- Princes of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
- Recipients of the Order of Saint Alexander (Bulgaria)
- Recipients of the Order of Bravery
- Recipients of the Order of St. Vladimir, 1st class
- 20th-century Bulgarian monarchs
- Governors-General of Eastern Rumelia
- Grand Master of the Order of Military Merit (Bulgaria)
- Grand Crosses of the Saxe-Ernestine House Order
- Grand Crosses of the Order of Aviz
- Knights Grand Cross of Justice of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
- Grand Crosses of the Order of the Tower and Sword
- Knights of the Order of Saint Hubert
- Grand Crosses of the Order of Christ (Portugal)
- Honorary Knights Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order
- Monarchs who abdicated
- Recipients of the Order of St. Alexander Nevsky
- Recipients of the Order of St. Anna, 1st class
- Recipients of the Iron Cross (1914), 1st class
- Recipients of the Order of the Black Eagle
- Recipients of the Pour le Mérite (military class)
- Recipients of the Order of St. Andrew
- Bisexual men
- Grand Officiers of the Légion d’honneur
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .