Dennis Brian Close, was an English first-class cricketer, the youngest man ever to play Test cricket for England. He was picked to play against New Zealand in July 1949, when he was 18 years old. Close went on to play 22 Test matches for England, captaining them seven times to six wins and one drawn test. Close also captained Yorkshire to four county championship titles – the main domestic trophy in English cricket. He later went on to captain Somerset, where he is widely credited with developing the county into a hard-playing team, and helping to mould Viv Richards and Ian Botham into the successful players they became. Throughout his cricket career, which lasted from 1948 until the 1977 season, Close was one of the most charismatic and well-known cricketers. He scored almost 35,000 runs as a batsman, including 52 centuries with a highest innings score of 198. He also took 1,168 wickets as a bowler, over 800 catches as a fielder and one stumping, as a stand-in wicket-keeper.
|Full name:||Dennis Brian Close|
|Born:||February 24, 1931, Rawdon, Yorkshire, England|
|Died:||September 13, 2015, Baildon, Yorkshire, England|
|Bowling style:||Right-arm off break / medium|
About Brian Close
The youngest man ever to play Test cricket for England, he captained England in 7 of his 22 Test matches, and later captained Somerset.
He was serving a “confined to barracks” punishment during his military service when selected for his first international cricket tour in 1950.
He has long opposed one-day cricket, or ODI’s, believing that it diminishes a player’s skills.
He was the second eldest of five boys and a girl born to Harry and Esther Close.
He and Mark Harman both played county cricket for Somerset.
Information related to Brian Close
- Richard Jowett – Richard Lund Jowett is a former first-class cricketer who played for Oxford University from 1957 to 1960. Richard Jowett was educated at Bradford Grammar School before going up to Magdalen College, Oxford.
- People educated at Aireborough Grammar School
- Yorkshire cricket captains
- Somerset cricket captains
- England cricket team selectors
- England Test cricket captains
- Commonwealth XI cricketers
- International Cavaliers cricketers
- Combined Services cricketers
- England One Day International cricketers
- Players cricketers
- Wisden Cricketers of the Year
If you are getting married, reserve the day at the Lightner Museum, the best of st Augustine wedding venues .